03 April 2008

More Than Meets the Eye

Every geek knows who that is in the picture right? It's Snake Eyes! The most popular mute ninja on Earth. There's a GI Joe movie being made right now, out in 2009, and it probably won't have much to do with the original cartoon -- or the classic animated movie -- but it should be amazingly cool nonetheless. The costumes will be sick at least (compare the movie version of Snake Eyes to this image).

I remember the joy of owning my Snake Eyes toy, the one with his pet wolf. It was all unique and stuff until they started re-releasing the original figures. I think I still have this version of him. Yes, there might be a tin of GI Joes somewhere in my closet. So what? You don't keep your childhood toys around?

One of the best things about GI Joe was how real life people started appearing in the cartoon. Sgt. Slaughter anyone? Everyone knows he became a Joe, but how about William "The Refrigerator" Perry? I'm pretty sure I mail-ordered away for both of them. Oh and the vehicles! The vehicles were always so intricate and well designed. I had a boat, a motorcyle, and a jeep-tank thing. Of course, twenty years later, I only have a white Honda Accord. And not even one ninja assassin friend to speak of...

More importantly, was "Scarlett versus Lady Jaye" the "Ginger versus Mary Anne" of my generation? Should it be?

Anyway, the movie stars Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Rachel Nichols, Sienna Miller, Ray Park, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Should be interesting.

Five unforgettable GI Joes
Storm Shadow
Tomax and Xamot
Quick Kick
Zartan
Jinx