03 May 2008

Iron Man (2008)

On the short list of perfect marriages between actor and superhero, it's hard to say that Robert Downey Jr. and Iron Man wouldn't top the list. Hugh Jackman is Wolverine, albeit a really tall one, and technically speaking, Downey is probably shorter than Tony Stark, but height doesn't matter in movies. Screen presence does. Downey is amazing as Stark, it's that simple, but we knew he would be. More surprising was how fun Gwyneth Paltrow is as Pepper Potts, Stark's assistant. And it's wonderful to see Leslie Bibb get some movie love (I'm in the middle of watching Popular: Season 2).

Iron Man's been receiving rave reviews and I'd have to agree: it's easily the best comic book movie ever. And I say this with my chest still beating strong with love for the X-Men franchise. There's so many ways this movie could have gone wrong but it's awesome to see Jon Favreau come out on top with a pitch perfect blockbuster movie. This movie is so good that I find it hard to imagine how the sequels can match it. Downey has signed on for a trilogy so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Also of interest: This is Marvel's first independently financed feature so they'll reap the rewards. I once owned a few hundred shares of Marvel stock at one dollar each. This was years ago when they were failing and on the verge of bankruptcy. Sadly, those shares were sold when my father passed away but it looks like now it's time to buy back in! How many shares can $100 buy me?