05 April 2007

Grammar Style

Ever wondered how to properly use apostrophes, colons, semi-colons, and hey, punctuation in general? Check out this short primer titled, "How to Use English Punctuation Correctly," and become a pro. I've always been confused by colons and semi-colons and now that I know how to use them, I can't stop. I've become an over-punctuator; after a lifetime of being restricted to commas and periods, I'm now making up lost time. I used to score well in high school grammar class simply because I winged it; now I actually know why and what I'm using punctuation for -- sort of.

And for the "advanced" writer, "How to Avoid Colloquial (Informal) Writing." Or "How I Stopped Blogging and Started Writing." I'm still working on this one personally.

How many times have you been told to "show, not tell?" I'm barely aware of what this means, outside of the elementary school context, so here's a great explanation: "Self-Editing For Fiction Writers: Show and Tell." This book was recommended to me by an editor that knows exactly what she's talking about. Read on and figure out what narrative summary is and when to (not) use it.