09 August 2007

The Science of Sleep (2006)

Michel Gondry sure has an eclectic portfolio. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to Dave Chappelle's Block Party? And apparently award-winning music videos? I'm pretty excited about his next movie too (Be Kind Rewind). But what of his most recent creation? I was really anxious to see The Science of Sleep in theatres but then skipped out after some so-so reviews.

After watching it I think I should have ignored the critics. It struck me as similar to "Waking Life," but with a plot. Actually the two movies have nothing in common except dreaming but still. The themes of this film were intriguing and Gondry is excellent at providing visual stimulus at all times.

I really enjoyed how the film unwaveringly intermingled English, French, and Spanish. Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal is at his charming best. He's like the actor Orlando Bloom wishes he could be.