08 April 2010

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

Remember in Nick & Norah's how Jay Baruchel played the cool guy? Yeah, didn't work. He's much better suited to dorky stuff, as evidenced by his possibly outstanding turn in "She's Out of My League." I put in "possibly" because I didn't watch that movie. I mean, if you actually watched it, you should probably be ashamed of yourself. How is the premise of that movie -- a ten dating a five -- any different than the romantic pairings behind Garden State, The Last Kiss, Knocked Up, and hey, Nick & Norah's? Basically you're an idiot if you watched She's Out of My League. And I say that with all respect to people's personal choices. I just can't condone this one.

If however, you watched "How to Train Your Dragon," you probably had a very enjoyable time. There's absolutely nothing that will surprise you about the plot or the set-up or the motivations and characters of this movie, but that doesn't matter because as Hiccup (voiced by Baruchel) states, the land of Berk is all about the dragons. And that's enough. I mean, you have all these dragons see, and then these burly Vikings that fight them. What else do you really need? Throw in nice animation, superb voice acting, and another scoopful of dragons and it's a great kid movie for adults. George came out of the flick saying, "I want a pet dragon." Who doesn't?

In an attempt to have my own dragon, I downloaded the iPhone game, "How to Train Your Dragon: Flight of the Night Fury" after the movie. The game itself isn't that good but since it allows you to play your own music, there is a bit of fantastic thrill tilting/flying through the air. I cruised the skies backdropped by Little Bit (heavily recommended) but I tested other songs and they all imparted a different experience and mood. So the app is worth ten minutes of actual fun but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the experience even aboard a tiny digital dragon. Now imagine actually riding a dragon with an iPod attached? Oh heaven.