27 June 2010

The Secret in Their Eyes (2009)

Winner of the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film earlier this year. Secret is an Argentinian crime thriller that is low on the action but high on the dialogue. I don't know if an actor/actress speaking a foreign language just makes them seem fantastic -- it's hard to gauge how well they're doing with lines when you can't understand them -- but Ricardo Darin and Soledad Villamil, as well as the rest of the cast, are all superb.

I had a laptop afternoon with my screenwriter friend the other day and he told me that he loved Secret in Their Eyes and that as a script, it was pitch perfect. With a long running time and a twisty plot, Secret captures your attention throughout even if I was hoping for a just a bit more from the ending. I was hoping to drag people to watch it with me but in the end, I ended up watching it mid-afternoon by myself so as to not emerge into night and be scared or something. Who knows what these crime thriller movies can do to your mind afterwards?

Compared to my recent viewing of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, this was definitely a superior movie, although both were enjoyable/shocking in different ways.