12 August 2010

Dinner for Schmucks (2010)

A remake of the French film "Le Diner de Cons," Dinner for Schmucks had all the signs of being a terrible movie. I assumed it was another in the long line of Apatow, Meet the Fockers, Ben Stiller, etc. sorta comedy that I absolutely detest. The good news is that there was no Stiller, Ferrell, or Sandler in sight. The better news is that the movie stars Steve Carell and Paul Rudd, who are both winsome actors. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that this movie was horrible. I know now that director Jay Roach (Austin Powers, Meet the Parents films) makes movies that I never want to see. If I see "Jay Roach" displayed anywhere, I should just walk out.

But wait, I will restrain myself and try to talk about this movie's good parts. If I were to really study it objectively, Dinner for Schmucks is a good film. The plot moves fast, the gags are way out there, there's quite a few good lines, and at no point are you not entertained. While Carell is a bit too Ben Stiller-ish, he has a lot of built up audience karma with me through The Office. I guess if you like crazy, slapsticky, makes no sense comedy, then this movie is for you. Me, I'll laugh along and just keep reaching for the popcorn.