23 October 2010

The Girl Who Played with Fire (2009)

I quite enjoyed Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and have been waiting to drag people to the sequel with me. Power in numbers and certain movies by myself, what of it? There's actually not that much to say about Girl Who Played With Fire except that it hits most of the high (and low) points of the first one. The style and pacing of the story is different but it's hard to say which was better. James Berardinelli compared the structure of the Millenium Trilogy to Star Wars and I guess that could be correct. Let's just say that I certainly left Girl: Fire ready for more and felt cheated out of a proper ending.

The remake of Girl: Tattoo, by David Fincher, stars Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara, which should be interesting. Mara was the girl from the first scene of The Social Network I guess. If I was so inclined I could go find out if Fincher picked her based on that performance or gave her to role in Social Network after selecting her for Girl: Tattoo -- or perhaps they're dating. But I actually don't care that much and am just glad they went with a relative unknown over someone more recognizable. I love me some Natalie Portman but if she got cast as Lisbeth Slander I'd have to boycott. Thank goodness Natalie had the sense to turn the role down. Ellen Page or Mila Kunis as Lisbeth would have been equally horrible.

Oh wait, I just found out Rooney Mara is Kate Mara's younger sister, and they are the offspring of the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers founders. I am now officially a fan of hers. My allegiance is easily bought by trivia.