02 June 2011

Midnight in Paris (2011)

Woody Allen movies I've seen: Annie Hall, Manhattan, Bullets Over Broadway, Everyone Says I Love You, Match Point, Scoop, Vicky Cristina Barcelona. And now Midnight in Paris. I really wanted to love this movie, and despite having seen just a few of Allen's classics, I like to say "I love Woody!" What I'm realizing is that aside from Annie Hall, all of his movies seem to be majorly flawed. Well, not all, but most.

Take this one. A great premise and an intriguing idea that turns out mostly flat. You'd think seeing famous people play other famous people would be exciting but the thrill faded pretty quickly. Maybe I don't get enough of the references to the various artists and musicians peppered throughout, but I think I got most of them. After hearing such rave reviews about Midnight In Paris, I wanted it to really hit home and give me something to think about.

Instead the high point was that it dovetailed nicely with an earlier conversation we had that afternoon about nostalgia. Otherwise I thought it was overacted, not very deep, barely entertaining, and totally a waste of a role for Rachel McAdams. But hey, now she can say she's worked with Woody Allen! What does that get you nowadays?