02 January 2008

Atonement (2007)

This was a book club selection from some years back. Neither Lilly or I could get through it. We thought it would be appropriate to view the film version in case we missed something. Even with people in our row getting out of their seats two or three times to fetch popcorn, etc. I don't think we missed much. Talk about a sad story that just keeps getting sadder.

It's a shame such a beautiful movie has to make you wonder what you just spent two hours in the theatre for and how you'll find a nearby happy pool to jump into. I'm all for tragic endings but c'mon, a few rainbows can't hurt can it? I will say that the movie is engrossing for its full running length though, which is praise enough.

I kinda feel like Keira Knightley and James McAvoy would make good leads for a remake of The Great Gatsby in a few years. I wonder if Keira only does English period dramas...