23 November 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)

I'll say it right up front, I thought this was the best Harry Potter movie. Maybe it wasn't the most enjoyable or the most complete, but this was the best film of the seven. The kids can all finally act, there were no ridiculous moments (well okay one or two), and everything was just done really well. Heck, the first thirty minutes was like a cool action thriller. I had no idea what to expect in this installment as I hadn't read the last book -- and there was no concession to someone not quite up on their Potter lore -- but that didn't matter as I really just admired how much the movie series has matured and progressed.

Director David Yates has done a few Potter movies, including the last one which I mostly enjoyed, but I was really impressed with his work this time around. Maybe there was more to work with book-wise but I think Yates just paced things really well and felt each scene in the movie, even the touching quiet moments which can be super contrived at times, was really good. I'm not saying this was perfect, but it's got me totally excited for the last movie and I can't wait to see what happens. I may even have to go read some of the books again.

Oh yeah, can someone explain to me how elves like Dobby can just teleport in and out without restrictions? How's that work? Also, I really enjoyed the look of the animated "Tale of the Three Brothers," as narrated by Hermione, so here's a link to some info about the people behind that segment. Speaking of Hermione, how about this wonderfulness: The Harry Potter series from Hermione’s point of view.