28 October 2009

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (2009)

If you're going to movie hop you just waltz into whatever the most convenient start time is. That's how I ended up at Cirque du Freak. And I won't lie, I enjoyed it. The whole vampire thing has been done over and over (and is still going) but this young adult series started in 2000 so maybe it's a bit ahead of the curve. The premise is interesting. A guy is turned into a half-vampire and lives with a circus of freaks in order to well, assist a real vampire in preparation for an inter-species vampire war.

The two teenage leads were both terrible. Like so bad I won't even name drop them. But luckily all the supporting actors and actresses were great. It was like a roll call of B and C-teamers. John C. Reilly, Ken Watanabe, Salma Hayek, Orlando Jones, and Patrick Fugit. Plus some guy named Michael Cerveris -- who was clearly born to play the Kingpin in a Spiderman or Daredevil movie. And I kind of love Jessica Carlson as the love interest. I hope she hits it big. All in all, an entertaining disposable movie.