28 June 2009

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

It wasn't going to be hard for T2 to make tons of money. Just do what every big budget sequel does. More money, more characters, more action, bigger explosions. In that respect, Transformers pretty much covered it all. Shia Labeouf didn't exactly reach for new heights and that was fine, Megan Fox was given ten times more "I'm sexy, stare at me" scenes, and Optimus Prime was twenty times more kick-ass than last time.

Any Autobot not named Optimus or Bumblebee (and the maybe racist Tweedledum and Tweedledee characters) gets thrown into the junk pile as far as roles and action scenes but I guess if you liked the first Transformers, you have no reason not to like this one. I'm still turned off by the terrible attempts at humor though. Where is it written that a summer blockbuster has to have terrible comedy lines? I don't think I really need to see brass balls during a robot movie. It's gratuitous and not even funny. Ditto for the random humping.

I can't figure out why Josh Duhamel and Tyrese are in this franchise, but I had forgotten they were even in the first one so really, they must be entirely forgettable all around.