09 May 2009

Star Trek (2009)

Movie prognosticators are saying that Star Trek is this summer's Iron Man. Hugely anticipated, critically acclaimed, and destined to make a killing at the box office. It's hard to say I disagree. With Wolverine sure to falter after terrible word of mouth, Star Trek will be the king of summer even with so many blockbusters yet to launch. It is worthy?

The short answer is: I guess so. I'm not much of a Trekkie myself but I know enough about its universe to concede that the reboot did a really great job introducing the characters and giving them a fresh update as well as staying honest to the original. The special effects were spectacular, the acting was excellent all around, and while the plot was a bit lacking, everything pretty much worked. My main bone of contention was with the villain's plan (which makes absolutely no sense) and parts of the ending. But I say no more because I wouldn't want to spoil anything. Let's just say there's a cameo in there that makes no sense. None at all.

I want to give this movie an A but it's hard to do because given the choice, I'd rather watch Wolverine again. I know, this is totally my bias speaking but parts of Star Trek was shaky and I wasn't attached to the characters enough. So in the end, while Star Trek was definitely the better movie on paper, Wolverine was more fun. I doubt most of America will agree.