06 May 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

This was my most anticipated movie of the year. This review it totally biased because virtually anything X-Men related would get a passable grade from me. Having said all that, I can't understand why this movie is getting killed in reviews. It's definitely not the best comic book movie ever. Yes, there are way too many shots of Wolverine screaming into the sky. Yes, there are some bad special effects and the story is slight, but it's not a horrific movie at all. I liked it and would re-watch it immediately. I do have to say that Gavin Hood was absolutely the wrong choice for a director.

I went in with the lowest of expectations after everyone's been killing because I didn't want to be disappointed. Sub-forty percent on Rotten Tomatoes (which I never trust anyway actually), terrible word of mouth, people saying it would bomb due to the work print link, etc. At the end of the day, Wolverine is no worse than any of the Spidermans. It's way better than the Hulks. It's probably at least on par with the Fantastic Fours. What's wrong with that?

It would have been hard to top Iron Man and Wolverine certainly didn't do that but Hugh Jackman by himself is so charismatic and appealing that he's worth watching. Plus, Liev Schreiber is excellent as Sabretooth. So there's some good action scenes, a few funny lines, and enough pace and motion to the film that anything cringe-worthy flies right by. Trust me, it's not horrible okay?

Lynn Collins
, who plays Silverfox, looks equally natural as a blonde, brunette, or redhead. It's weird. And many of my friends are calling Daniel Henney the hottest Asian guy ever. Which is hard to dispute actually.